ZULUZULUU have been named the top up-and-coming Minnesota band, as chosen by voters in the annual City Pages Picked to Click poll. With 108 points in the poll of local music insiders, the adventurous band whose music ranges from hip-hop to Afrobeat came in a clear first, with runners-up Tony Peachka landing 77 points.
The win comes at a busy time for ZULUZULUU, who are in the midst of an Icehouse residency that includes the weekly release of new music — and are heading to Canada this weekend as part of our Local Music Exchange. The Winnipeg show is preceded by a show tomorrow at the 7th Street Entry, where they’ll be joined by two Canadian bands and fellow Minnesotans Sleeping Jesus. To get a sense of what they sound like, check out their performance in our studio.
Founded by music writer Jim Walsh in 1991, Picked to Click is one of most-watched annual indicators of what local bands are buzzing — though at times it’s seemed like winners were cursed to imminent oblivion. Recent years’ winners have fared better: last year’s top vote-getters were Bad Bad Hats, and the 2014 nod went to Allan Kingdom.
This year’s other Picked to Click winners, in descending order:
2. Tony Peachka, a power-pop-punk band whose members include Danielle Cusack of Bruise Violet. Read Andrea Swensson’s interview with Tony Peachka.
3. Fraea, one of the most popular of numerous local synthpop duos; their song “Criminal” has been a hit on The Current. Read Andrea’s interview.
4. Punk rock quartet Color TV.
[bandcamp width=350 height=470 album=3940576022 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false]
5. Rising hip-hop star Ness Nite. Read Jack Spencer’s profile.
6. Busy rapper Finding Novyon.
7. Dizzy Fae, who’s built a growing national fan base tracks that layer her silky vocals over absorbing beats. Hear her session in our studios.
8. Garage-punkers Royal Brat, fronted by Alex Uhrich with Clara Salyer and Shannon Boyer.
[bandcamp width=350 height=470 album=317515043 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false]
9. Holidae, another synth-pop duo; they made waves this spring by winning the Are You Local? contest. Listen to their session in our studio, and grab their song “Darkest Shade,” our Song of the Day.
10. Lunch Duchess — the project of multitalented drummer Katharine Seggerman.