Welcome to Bandwidth, The Current digital team’s weekly roundup of news, music we like, and upcoming concerts. (Got a local topic you think we should include? Hit up email@example.com.)
Hey, what? New Low
That’s right, the delight of Duluth’s 13th album is out today, and it’s great. Don’t just take our word for it: Pitchfork (Best New Music!), Rolling Stone, The Guardian, and UPROXX all had positive things to say. More soon from us on the album, as well as Low’s headlining performances at the weekend’s Square Lake Festival in Stillwater. Their latest visual is for the album’s opener, “White Horses,” and Mimi and Alan recently discussed Hey What with The Current’s Mac Wilson.
The Replacements reunite…
…in cartoon form. Pat Moriarity and Seth Zeichner’s animated clip for “Shutup” comes ahead of the 40th anniversary reissue of Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash due October 22. The Current’s Jim McGuinn recently spoke to Tommy Stinson about the reissue and the band’s early years.
Papa Mbye excites the Entry
Three buzzing local acts left the crowd equally buzzed Thursday evening. Photographer Darin Kamnetz (with assists from Sara Fish) posted the above video of Mbye (who just dropped a new EP) from the night. Whew! Read Jay Gabler’s review and see photos by Fish (on assignment for The Current) from the show, also featuring Miloe and bugsy, right here. Gabler noted the show went on amid vaccination/mask requirements established at many of the region’s concert venues.
You can listen to the new Gully Boys EP now
…and relive their Fine Line show, as reviewed by The Current’s Cecilia Johnson.
- Keith Harris of Racket (ex-City Pages folks’ excellent new site) recently launched a music column and doesn’t know what to call it, and he also kinda likes the new Low.
- The Dakota’s back! Lots more from MinnPost‘s Pamela Espeland and Star Tribune‘s Jon Bream.
- Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis discussed their new album, Jam & Lewis, Vol. 1, with Steve Marsh of Mpls St. Paul.
More from The Current
- Jay Gabler assesses Billie Eilish’s new Disney+ concert film, Happier Than Ever and Ska Boom! An American Ska & Reggae Oral History for Rock and Roll Book Club.
- Find out what Mary Lucia thought of Jennifer Hudson portraying Aretha Franklin in the Respect biopic.
- Jade highlights a newly unearthed Kid A-era Radiohead rarity and rising local talent Ka Lia Universe’s latest among this week’s new music.
- Plus, Julian introduces hip-hop artist Mati and the Water Wave collective.
- New Local Show host Diane Miller takes over on Sunday, September 19. She has compiled 89 of her favorite songs:
Weekend Gig Lists and more things to do
- The Current Fall Guide 2021: Things to do in the Twin Cities and beyond
- September 10 Gig List: Low, Davina and the Vagabonds, TABAH, Gogol Bordello, The Belfast Cowboys, Valerie June, Van Morrison
- September 11 Gig List: Phoebe Bridgers, Lizzo, Low, Lissie, Chris Koza, Jillian Rae, Brianna Kocka, Nur-D, Bruise Violet, Solid Gold, Mae Simpson
- September 12 Gig List: Waxahatchee, Kesha, Erik Koskinen, Annie Mack
- Coming up: Avett Brothers will not be at Basilica Block Party, but Questlove will be at Paisley Park.